As a Partner Plus or Partner Premium partner (see partner levels), you manage transactions on behalf of Vipps MobilePay merchants. We provide you with partner keys, which allow you to use your own API credentials to make API calls on behalf of all your merchants (i.e., all the sales units that are linked to you as a partner).
The partner keys work for the sales units regardless linked to you as a partner, whether the keys are used in a POS integration, in a webshop, or something else.
There are two ways to use partner keys:
- To use the Management API to manage your merchants' sales units and improve the flow for creating new sale units through pre-filled information.
- To make requests to the API platform on behalf of your merchants (including moving money).
All partners (with a signed contract) can use partner keys for (1), but (2) requires more - see the rest of this document.
For partners making API calls on behalf of merchants:
- The partner uses the partner keys (the partner's own "special" API keys) for all its merchants.
- The partner specifies the MSN of the sales unit its acting on behalf of in the HTTP header.
Types of partner keys
We respect that different partners have different requirements, and we are working to offer different type of partner keys:
|Provide access to the Management API (and the Partner API). Allow partners to initiate payments and move money on behalf of their merchants (for example, by using the ePayment API).
|Available now, see Partner levels.
|Provide access to the Management API (and the Partner API). Cannot be used to move money. Both partners and merchants may use management keys.
|Planned availability in Q3.
|Provide access to the Report API. Cannot be used to move money.
|Planned availability in Q3.
Partner keys are for partners who will make payments on behalf of their merchants. However, since the Report API can reveal information about a merchant's prices and fees, partner keys don't automatically give access to it. The merchant must explicitly give consent for the accounting partner to get access to this information.
Management keys are useful for partners who need to manage their merchants and are not allowed to use partner keys. For example, a partner can't use partner keys to make payments on behalf of merchants if:
- their partner level is not high enough
- the partner keys are available (visible) to the merchants (if they are, one merchant can make payments on behalf of another merchant)
On overview of which type of API keys give access to what:
|Manage sales units
|Use the Report API
Please note: If a partner is both an accounting partner and a "normal" partner, the partner will have two sets of API keys: Accounting keys and either Partner keys or Management keys.
An explanation for humans
You can think about it this way:
- All sales units are apartments in a large building block
- Every apartment has its own keys to its own door
- The janitor has special janitor keys that work in the doors of all the apartments
The partner keys are the janitor keys: A partner with partner keys can act on behalf of all the sales units that has that partner as partner (the janitor keys work for all the apartments in the building that the janitor is janitor for). The partner keys can be used both to manage sales units and to make payments.
The management keys are similar to partner keys, but they do not allow moving money. They can be used to manage sales units, but not to make payments. Think of them as the postman's keys that gives access to the entrance where the mailboxes are, but not to the apartments.
The accounting keys only allow access to the Report API, for retrieval of data about payments that have been made. They cannot be used to manage sales units or to make payments.
With the partner keys, you authenticate in the normal way,
Ocp-Apim-Subscription-Key that are
part of your partner keys.
When making API calls on behalf of a merchant,
you must also send the required
Merchant-Serial-Number HTTP header to identify
which of your merchants you are acting on behalf of (e.g.,
See Get an access token, for more details.
In the Management API, you must use your partner keys instead of the merchant's keys.
In addition, you must send the
Note that the partner keys must be used to get the access token, sent in the
Authorization header shown above.
The following is an example Management API request including the
Merchant-Serial-Number header, partner keys, and the required
Authorization: Bearer eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1Ni <snip>
Vipps-System-Name: Acme Commerce
Partner keys must be kept secret for merchants
Important: The partner keys must never be shared in any readable way with the merchants, as that will let one merchant perform API calls (including making payments, refunds, etc.) on behalf of another merchant.
💣 Potential pitfalls: If you answer YES to any of the following questions, partner keys is not for your solution.
- Your merchants can see the partner keys (
Ocp-Apim-Subscription-Key) in your solution.
- Your merchants have the ability to change their MSN (Merchant Serial Number) in your solution.
- The keys and secrets are stored on the merchant system's (in a way that allows them to access and see it).
Partner keys for different APIs
- If you are already using the same, identical API keys for multiple merchants, you are already using partner keys.
- You must not use partner keys if the merchants can, in any way, see or access the API keys. That would be security problem that would make it possible for someone to act on behalf of all your merchants.
- Partner keys only work in the production environment. In the test environment, you must use the merchant's API keys. If you are not a Vipps MobilePay merchant in the production environment and do not have these keys, you will need to use the merchant keys belonging to one of your merchants.
- Vipps MobilePay cannot send the merchant's API keys to you. You must get them from the merchant securely (if partner keys are not used). See: Common topics: API Keys for more details.
- If the merchant is unable to provide the API keys to you securely, the merchant can create a user for you, as described in detail with screenshots.
- Vipps MobilePay cannot assist a partner in getting the API keys from the merchant, other than by improving the documentation for how to do it.
- Partner keys can be used for all sales units that are registered with the partner. It does not matter if the sales unit is several years old, or one day old.
Please note: Vipps MobilePay payments can only be made to merchants that have a customer relationship with us, and that have gone through the required compliance checks, etc. after ordering products on portal.vipps.no. It is not possible to pay the partner instead of the merchant. See also: Can I create a marketplace with multiple merchants?